Granola, conceited muesli or the breakfast of the Gods? This popular breakfast is heavily liked amongst mankind. It’s not the cheapest of breakfasts, but today we’ll teach you -together to Sabine Appelmans from Hercules Academy- how to make your own affordable, delicious granola!
Granola consists of rolled oats, nuts, honey or other sweeteners such as brown sugar. It is usually baked until it is crisp, toasted and golden brown. The mixture is stirred during the baking process to maintain a loose cereal consistency. You can add all sorts of ingredients to your liking, for example dried fruit or chocolate. Granola is often used to improve digestion and eaten in combination with yogurt, milk or fresh fruit (bananas, strawberries,…). Granola is perfect for breakfast because it is nutritious, lightweight, high in calories and easy to store. Sounds like the perfect opener of a busy day if you ask us.
So, enough praising of this delicious breakfast, time to explain how you can make it yourself!
How to make the breakfast of the Gods: Granola :
For one jar of granola, these are the ingredients you need:
- A modest jar
- 125g oat-flakes
- 125g spelt flakes
- 50g hazelnuts
- 50g almond nuts
- 50g brazil nuts
- 60g pumpkin seeds
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 30g linseed
- 20g chiaseed
- A pinch of sea salt
- A tablespoon of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of liquid coconut oil
- Some dried fruit you like
How to prepare your granola:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Stir all ingredients in a large bowl
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the mixture and mix everything together -for an artisanal sense, use your hands- until the dry ingredients are fully covered
- Sprinkle granola on a cookie sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes
- During the baking, mix your granola a few times with a spoon in order to prevent the mixture from burning.
- Take your creation out of the oven and let it cool down before adding your dried fruit
- Store in a tightly sealed jar. This way, your granola will be fresh for at least a month!
Enjoy your breakfast and have a wonderful day!